Rock Art Code
W.R.A.P. aims to encourage virtual visits to the rock art sites of Wicklow, many of which are inaccessible for a variety of reasons. However, if you do visit these sites in person, please remember:
- Always ask the landowner’s permission prior to entering their land.
- Always leave everything as you find it.
- Always close field gates behind you.
Many of these panels are obscured by vegetation and moss and lichen growth. Removal of biological growth can cause greater damage to the rock surface, so:
- Never remove lichen or grass sod covering the panel.
- Never use metal tools or stiff bristle brushes to clean the rock surface.
- Never use water to clean the rock surfaces. Instead, visit these sites after a rain shower.
- Never use chalk or other substances to outline the carvings.
- Never drive or walk over decorated surfaces.
- Never attempt to record panels using direct contact techniques (e.g. rubbing) as these can damage the carvings.
Many of these sites require repeated visits, at different times of day, and in different weather conditions to view the carvings. Be patient, it is worth the wait!